Half My Heart

It’s sounding more and more like Harry is going to stay stateside. Not for a year like he was thinking – indefinitely. He has a friend moving back from a year abroad and they want to start a food truck together. They have a 3-year plan to get it up and running. Which quietly placed Vietnam on the back-burner for him.

I’m not sure how to process that. But I’m still holding out a slim hope that the scouting trip in a couple weeks will change his mind. Da Nang is a chef’s dream – fresh ingredients and new inspiration everywhere. Plus a culinary school that puts the one here to shame. But I’m also trying to be realistic and preparing myself for what feels like the inevitable.

I want him to be happy. I want him to make the choice that is right for him – even if it means having an ocean between us. But it still hurts. There’s part of me that wants to put this whole thing in a drawer and wait for him to be ready. But what does that mean for Skipper? What does that mean for Ken? There are so many positives that come from making this move. But the one drawback is big. It’s huge. And what if he’s never ready?


Comments

2 responses to “Half My Heart”

  1. Laurie Smith Avatar
    Laurie Smith

    Wow, that’s a big one….but with all of the research and consideration you are all doing, even if hard I believe the ‘right’ decisions will be made. I’m not going to say something trite like, well there are airplanes…it’s just not the same when they’re not within close reach….wishing you all the success!

    1. Jayme Taylor Avatar
      Jayme Taylor

      I know I need to let him make his own choices, but it’s SO DARN HARD!! I just want to keep him close. But I also know that him being comfortable staying when we all go is also a sign that we’ve given him the tools he needs to handle it, so I’m trying to keep that at the forefront.
      Thank you for your input – I appreciate you reading and jumping into the topic with me!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *